Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Book Review - Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier

Peter Nimble and His Fantastic EyesPeter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Peter Nimble is a blind. Everyone knows that blind children make the best thieves. With keen ears that hear the smallest sound, and fingers that are nimble and small enough to slip in almost any lock, they are able to get in anywhere and get out before anyone notices they were there. Peter is the best of these thieves. As a matter of fact, he is the greatest thief who ever lived. And as an added bonus, Peter is an orphan with no parents to care about him or miss him. At first, Peter is forced to work for an evil man, who makes Peter steel treasure for him everyday. Until one day, Peter meets a mysterious man selling hats. This is where Peter's life changes and he is thrust into a fantastical world where an orphan thief just might be king.

I really, really enjoyed this book. At first, I was wondering about a book that opens with the line "Now, for those of you who know anything about blind children, you are aware they make the very best thieves" and describes ravens pecking out Peter's eyes. But as I read on, I became enamored of Peter and his plight. I quickly started rooting for Peter in his efforts to find his place in the world. With each new twist of the plot, I became more engrossed in the story. However, due to some of the bloodier content in the book, I would only recommend it for children 10 and up. This is an especially good book for boys who like adventure.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment