Monday, August 2, 2010

Book Review - The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey

The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1)The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Okay I usually don't give books 5 stars but I really, really loved this book. It brings to mind years ago as I lay in my bed with a flashlight, under the covers, reading Lovecraft or James Herbert and scaring myself to death.

Presented as a series of journals written by Will Henry,a young boy of 12, the tale follows the twists and turns of a journey straight to Hell and back. You see Will Henry is apprenticed to the Monstrumologist - a man who studies monsters. We are not talking Frankenstein or the Wolfman. These are monsters found in nature and myths of old, and are far scarier. Will Henry's mother and father are deceased and he is left with only Dr.Pellinore Warthrop to care for him. In his time with the doctor Will Henry has seen many strange and chilling things but the most deadly and frightening is yet to come. When a grave robber brings an unusual find to the back door late one night, Will Henry is about to enter the most terrifying trial of his young life.

*Not for sensitive readers - there are several scenes of violence with blood & gore. This novel is classified as young adult but I would only recommend it to those teens 15 and up. Adults with a penchant for "Lovecraftian" novels will love this. I am anxiously awaiting the next one.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment